Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows users to set up a virtual private network with another network on the Internet. VPN can be used to access websites that are restricted to geographic location, protect your browsing activity from "curiosity" on public Wi-Fi networks by setting up a virtual private network.
The VPN forwards all of your network traffic to the system - which can remotely access local network resources and bypass Internet censorship. Most operating systems integrate VPN support.
What is VPN?
When connecting your computer (or another device such as a smartphone or tablet) to a VPN, the computer will act as a local connection like a VPN. All network traffic will be sent through a secure connection to the VPN.
And because your computer works on this network, this allows you to access local network resources even when you're on the other end of the world.
You can also use the Internet as if you were present at the location of the VPN. This is beneficial in some cases if you are using public Wifi or want to access sites that are geographically blocked.
If you browse the web when connected to a VPN, your computer will contact the site via an encrypted VPN connection. The VPN sends the request for you and passes back the response from the site through a secure connection. If you're using a US VPN to access Netflix, Netflix will know your connection is in the United States.
Benefits of using VPN
Although it is a quite simple tool, VPN has many benefits:
- Access business network while traveling: VPNs are often used by business travelers (business travelers) to access their business networks, including all network resources. Local. Local network resources must not be in direct contact with the Internet to enhance security.
- Access home network while traveling: Also you can set up a VPN of your own to access when traveling. This will allow you to access Windows Remote Desktop via the Internet, meaning you will be allowed to access your personal computer via the Internet, share files, work on computer data at home and even playing games on that computer.
- Hide browsing activity from local network and ISP: If you are using public Wi-Fi connection, and you browse the web on non-HTTPS websites, then your actions will be visible to everyone ( If they know how to see your activity).
If you require to hide your browsing activity to ensure privacy and privacy, you can connect to the VPN. The local network will only see a secure and unique VPN connection. All other traffic will be through a VPN connection. And can be used to bypass the monitoring of your ISP (ISP).
- Access sites that are geographically blocked: Whether you are a US citizen, but you are traveling in another country, not the United States and you want to access Netflix, Pandora or Hulu, this is not possible. However, if connecting to a US-based VPN, it is possible to access Netflix, Pandora or Hulu.
- Use VPN to bypass Internet censorship.
- Download files: Many users use VPN connections to download files via BitTorrent. This is very useful if you require to download all valid Torrent - if your ISP is controlling BitTorrent and it's quite slow, you can use BitTorrent on VPN to experience faster speed.
Hello, @BillEssley! Recently we had "RKN VS Telegram" story when the Federal Service for Supervision of IT and Mass Communications tried hard to ban a cloud-based messenger in our country. So a huge massive of random IP's somehow related to the Telegram have been blacklisted by RKN. It is obvious that a large number of services, organizations and even banks suffered after that. VPN is good when you do not want to play by the incomprehensible rules of this incomprehensible game. VPN it's kind of encryption & proxy & anonymizer-tool for all data on any devices. It's benefits:
Safe connection via any available wired and wireless network with any device
Visit any blacklisted web resources or foreign sites that are not available in your country
VPN means Virtual Private Network which is extend private Network across a public network and enable users to send and receive data across public or shared network as as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.
In addition to previous answers be aware there're two kinds of VPNs:
VPN client : most common VPN configuration between a computer and a network or a server.
VPN site to site : you probably never heard about it because it's a big network configuration between two networks. Let's say you're working for a company that has two locations separated by 100 miles. You will setup a site to site VPN to encrypt communications between the two sites, the datas will be exchanged in a private tunnel through public lines. Each sites will see the each other as if they were part of the same private network.
VPN assures that your network is accessed by authorized users and devices and is utilized productively. It protects your connection to guarantee the exchange of data and information via the network, which is encrypted and secured. Due to VPN’s potentiality of keeping your network connection safe and risk-free, many companies are adopting it to promote smooth interaction between employees. Moreover, it is essential for organizations to provide VPN access to mobile devices so that they can connect to sensitive business documents when needed. Why is it so essential?
For remote workers, VPN can be a helpful source, as they can connect to the LAN and securely access all the files and documents of the organization. Moreover, it is a great business expansion idea for companies as more people can work remotely without any connectivity issue.
Mostly, employees use smartphones and tablet computers, as it is more convenient than logging into an authorized laptop or computer. When employees are restricted from the flexibility of accessing business content from a remote location, they might copy the files and store it on a cloud serversuch as Dropbox to use it quickly whenever required. However, if the drop box is compromised, the attacker having access to this particular account will also get access to all sensitive files of the company. Thus, the corporation must ensure to provide a secured and safe path for employees to access company content to avoid them from taking such a risky step.
In case a mobile device is stolen or lost, VPN ensures to bring down the connection authorized once it is notified of the situation. It further blocks the access of the devices that prevent a data breach.
Offering remote access also increases employee productivity as it provides them access to corporate data from a distant location. This added flexibility and convenience assist employees to manage business load, even when not physically present at the office.