With a dedicated server, considering you are the only using that server unlike shared hosting, the speeds are incredible. In cloud hosting, the speeds are not as impressive since there are other users using the same.
I agree about your quote, because each cloud hosting provider do not provide the same performance, or network connections, but in most of case server speed isn't limited by the network.
The main issues with "Cloud hosting" offers are :
- there is no way to see how many resources are allocated (all virtualization solutions provide a way to allocate dynamically resources)
- it's pretty hard to find what infrastructure is used to host cloud servers
- there is no proof of the redundancy of the infrastructure (scaleway have lost storage of 200 servers and there was no RAID)
- a lot of providers use the word "cloud" for almost anything including shared hosting (the best marketing solution ever seen.)
But that doesn't mean a dedicated server will be faster than a cloud server because :
- there are a lot of dedicated offers with outdated components (XEON-5XXX series, or even DDR2 memory or basic hard drives)
- a good part of dedicated server providers are just resellers
Dedicated server is your own server which is act as your computer on which you can host the multiple sites, install applications and related services on it. You can built your own security alters and firewall on the dedicated server. You will have your own set of bandwidth, hard-disk and resources. You can rent the disk space, bandwidth, resources on the dedicated server.
You will have the root access of the server as it's your own server.
I would suggest, study the market online. Please go trough the review section of the website and after that proceed further. You can compare all the plans and go with the best suitable plan. Most of the company provide the on query charge for the dedicated server issues so make sure what type of support is available.
Make sure if they are going to setup your server or you need to setup it by your own.
Cloud hosting -
Cloud hosting service will have the on demand resource allocation. There is harder security setup on the cloud hosting service.
Main principle of cloud hosting is divide as per the need. Cloud used to distribute the required resources on multiple servers as used them as per the requirement. There are multiple servers work together. If one server fails then other will start loading the same task without any delay. Cloud is nothing but the one larger storage space and processor.
Here are the some of the advantages of cloud hosting for you -
1. Accessibility - Main advantage of cloud hosting is that the files are accessible anywhere and anytime. You can access the files when you would like to access without matter of place.
2. Backup facility - Cloud hosting service always have the copy of your data on the the server. So in the case of disaster, you will have the copy of data even if the data on the main server get deleted or lost.
3. Low cost solution - You will need to pay just the amount for the storage which you are actually using.
4. Secure service - You don't have to worry about the security. Cloud hosting provider will have the best infrastructure on which you don't need to worry about the security , they have their setup for security.
The actual difference is the Reliability, pricing model and infrastructure. A dedicated server is a physical machine that is owned by YOU only. While, in the cloud, you get a VPS that is the part of a large network of connected machines.