Web hosting service which make our website accessible on the internet but for that, we need service provider. These service providers have many different types of hosting services such as shared hosting, managed hosting, unmanaged hosting. Under these plans, you will get options for VPS hosting, dedicated server hosting, KVM hosting, OpenVZ, etc. It is a very vast topic. so without going in more detail here, I am putting my points on managed vs unmanaged hosting. Hopefully, it will help you to clear your doubts.
Most people do not want to change their hosting plan because they do not have enough time to manage it. Sometimes many of them less knowledge of Linux system administration and have no idea about terminal access, SSH and shell commands. The count of such a person is really high. That is why hosting organizations currently provide managed Server Hosting.
As it is clear from the name, a hosting that is fully managed and you should not have any concerns related to server management. In MANAGED dedicated Hosting you get fully configured services by your service provider.
They will take care of your server maintenance such as updating the core, software installation, backup, security and more. It is, therefore, a relief for all entrepreneurs who do not get enough time to manage their servers and also for those who are not technically strong.
Managed Hosting includes the following points:-
• 24/7 technical support
• Backups on remote servers
• An uptime guarantee
• A control panel you can use to start/stop/restart your Dedicated server
• Server installation and initial setup
• Regular updates and security audits
• Malware scans on demand
Advantage of managed Hosting:
1. Get full root access
2. Managed by service provider.
3. It can easily allocate resources.
5. Give Better performance.
Unmanaged Hosting simply means that your service provider will only maintain the availability of hardware resources. With a preloaded set of software, except for OS installation and re-installation, you will not receive any other support from your hosting provider.
Technical support is limited to some special cases such as hardware failure or service outlay. However, some hosts also provide unmanaged hosting services, which provide support for initial setup and common troubleshooting issues with limited support.
UN-Managed Hosting is the best option for those who have sufficient technical knowledge and can easily do all their server related tasks. Similarly, you should be able to manage your website database backup/restore, set up email account, manage FTP services and many other similar tasks
Sometimes it happens that you can face some technical problems and need help. In this case, most hosting companies will charge for technical support on an hourly basis. These hourly rates are very expensive compared to a managed service charge which may affect your savings.
Your Efforts While Choosing UNMANAGED HOSTING
• Install and configure third-party software.
• Configure the server firewall.
• Install the necessary software whenever required.
• Take regular backup and maintain it.
• Troubleshooting of various services
• Solve all Email, Database, and website-related issues.
• Performance checking and troubleshooting.
• Advanced Configurations.
• Install updated OS and also upgrade software if required.
• Keep your server secure from threats.
• Self Monitoring of services and set an alert mechanism.
• Migration of web contents, databases, and emails.
Apart from this entire tedious task Un-Managed Hosting is still favorable to many people. It is ideal for those who have a limited budget for running their business. Only technically good people can go with these options so be sure while choosing unmanaged Hosting plans.
1. Unmanaged hosting gives you full control in the form of bandwidth, memory, software installation, usage, and storage space.
2. Can customize your server according to need.
3. It is very cost-effective.
4. Software or programs that are usually not offered with shared hosting services can be used with an unmanaged hosting
account since everything is in your hands.
5. There is no need to depend on unresponsive support.
6. Unmanaged hosting is more suitable for businesses with the need for high bandwidths.