To keep your identity and the information that you provide on the internet safe and secure, it is very important to have an active SSL certificate. If you have SSL, you and your customer's personal information remains safe from getting invaded and ruled by the cyber criminals. If you want more information on why you should immediately get SSL Certificate for your website this page will guide you thoroughly.
Hello Harry P,
For a serious company an SSL Certificate it is the best way to protect customers data and defend against identity fraud. Most of the clients nowadays refuse to purchase from an online store with no SSL Certificate. SSL certificate provides encryption for the data transmitted between the user and the web server. This way, your clients can confidently shop online knowing they are protected.
I have recently implemented SSL certificate for couple of my website, here are the things to note.
1) My website loading time increased slightly.
2) Initially, I lost ranking for 80% of my keywords.( Just couple of positions). But got back to previous position with better ranking.
3) Please note to take care of Google guidelines for moving to SSL.
All the private and confidential data which customers input is encrypted providing them trust, google ranking prioritizes SSL encrypted websites over those without a certificate, if you wish to accept PCI one of the requirements is properly using an SSL Certificate.
However there are some disatvanteges such as performance because the information that you send has to be encrypted by the server, it takes more server resources than if the information werent encrypted.
SSL certificates encrypt the communication between browser and server. The communication between a ssl website and browser becomes encrypted and secure. No person or third party can decrypt or understand the communication between the user and server.
SSL is used mostly on ecommerce websites to secure online payments.
One of the benefit is that it secure the communication between browser and server. This creates a safe way to make payments online.
But you must be careful not to tell anyone your password or pin codes for online payments.
I'll add something different, the benefits of SSL are great. If you plan to collect any sort of information - an SSL you should get.
Unless you need:
Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate - a green bar.
Thorough vetting of the domain, plus the organisation - commonly needs a lawyer or accountant to certify documents.
Organisation Validation (OV) SSL Certificate
Here the CA checks the right of the applicant to use a specific domain name plus the CA conducts some vetting of the organisation.
Then a free SSL will do.
Keep in mind, EV and OV certificates cannot be issued to individuals - only companies. Sole proprietors can get EV/OV though.
Here are some important measures that every eCommerce website should take for security purposes:
* Create an address and card verification process
* Set up system alerts for any kind of suspicious activity
* Create a multi-layered security system
* Make the use of tracking numbers for all the orders
Aside from the obvious (privacy), I think the internet is moving towards making SSL standard for all websites. So I think one of the benefits of doing this now (especially since you can do so for free), is to get ahead of the curb.
Encryption involves data, often referred to as plaintext, being scrambled using an encryption algorithm and an encryption key. This process generates cipher text that can only be viewed in its original form if decrypted with the correct key.
I can only say great things about having SSL Certificates on my own websites and on the websites where I installed SSL Certificates for other people and companies. There countless advantages of getting an SSL Certificate. Here are some of them:
1) All SSL Certificate will secure the information / data transfer between the users' browsers and your server. If users enter their personal information, passwords, social security number, and credit card details on your website - then having an SSL Certificate is an absolute necessity. An SSL Certificate will secure the transfer of this information, and nobody can steal this information when it is on the way from the users' browsers to your server.
2) Any SSL Certificate (even the Domain Validation ones which are the easiest to get and which are issued within 3â€“5 minutes) will make your website look good in your customer's eyes. Your website and business will be more trustworthy with an SSL Certificate than without one.
3) If you get a Business Validation SSL Certificate, or an Extended Validation SSL Certificate then you can have it display your company information when visitors click on your SSL Certificate or on the SSL Certificate Dynamic Seal. A Dynamic Seal will be provided to you when you buy a BV or EV SSL Certificate, and that is one more reasons for prospects to find your website and business reliable and trustworthy.
4) If you get an Extended Validation SSL Certificate, then you can have your company name displayed directly in the browser's address bar, and the address bar will become colored in green. This is known as having a Green Barâ€ on your website, which is considered the highest level of trust, because users can easily see that your website is owned by a legitimate company.
5) Your website will rank higher in search engines (e.g. Google, Yahoo, Bing) if it has an SSL Certificate installed. This can be an important part of your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy. You can search and read more about Google's HTTPS Everywhere Strategyâ€.
6) Finally, you never know how many opportunities and money you may lose by making your customers and possible partners doubt your trustworthiness. Getting an SSL Certificate is always a good thing to do, because it will most certainly remove many doubts that some of your customers may have about your website.